Home > Topics > Post-quake Reconstruction in Sichuan
Dicisive Victory won in Sihuan's Post-quake Reconstruction
2011/05/11

 
CHENGDU, May 9 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said the post-quake reconstruction effort in Sichuan Province has achieved its goals and registered a "decisive victory" during a recent inspection tour in the province.

Wen made the remark at a meeting held in the quake-hit city of Dujiangyan on Monday. The meeting was held to cap off a three-day inspection tour conducted by the premier.

Wen said that major reconstruction goals had been accomplished, as seen in improved housing conditions for quake victims, quake-proof public infrastructure, and progress in the revitalized industries in the area.

Social-economic development and living conditions in the region have already surpassed pre-earthquake levels, Wen said, commending the contributions made by the regions which were designated to help the quake-hit provinces of Sichuan, Shaanxi and Gansu in their reconstruction efforts.

The premier stressed there were many "good practices" to draw upon during the reconstruction, such as the "people first" approach which gave direction to the reconstruction of apartments, schools and hospitals.

He noted that scientific planning allowed authorities to identify geologically hazardous sites and relocate citizens to safer areas.

The entire nation had been mobilized to help the quake-hit regions get back on their feet, he said.

Wen said more efforts still need to be made in order to consolidate the progress that has been achieved. Rebuilding quake-hit areas to ensure that they can continue to develop in a self-reliant way is one of the things that must be done.

Sichuan Province was hit by a magnitude-8.0 earthquake in May 2008. The quake left 80,000 people dead or missing. The adjacent provinces of Shaanxi and Gansu were also impacted by the quake.

Suggest To A Friend:   
Print